Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I never thought that getting child #1 ready for the first day of high school would cause such mental anguish. It's worse than sending one to Kindergarten. With Kindergarten, there is a sense of accomplishment, a sense of "Wow, look at us...one more through the door. And they're potty trained!" But with a high-schooler, it's more like "Aww hell...there goes the last chance for his poor innocent brain." Oh, and the torment and concern for the effect that *other peoples* children may have on them. So we pray, and learn another little lesson from God. Lessons that you can only learn as a parent. I've gotten a lot of those.
So tomorrow is the first day of school. Early, I know. And I'm torn, in general, about the whole thing. Some may say it's good to have the kids in school, it makes life at home easier. I'm not sure about that. I still have 5,6 & 7 at home. I can't peacefully leave the house till 1-4 are home. Maybe I'll get more *home-work* accomplished...wish me luck with that one. We'll have to see how it all goes tomorrow. Why the heck would anyone start school on a Thursday? Why not wait until Monday? Are they trying to ease us into a full week? Giving us a sample of how it's going to be to get 4 (not always cheerful and compliant) kids up and ready for school while either praying that the other 3 stay sleeping (fat chance) so they don't bawl about it not being their turn to go to school.
Actually I think all will run swimmingly. I wish that my husband could have gone to work the day after the first day of school and not the day prior. Ah well. No matter.

so all I have to say in remembrance of tradition in this family is..."First Day of School, First Day of School, BOOGER." that's really a funny story, but you'd have to know Gabriel to find its true humor
Good day to ya.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Isn't High School scary? I know I'm not old enough to have a child in high school, but no one told Andrew that. :-( My kids start next Monday and Andrew finds our which swim team he made today. I also have to take Sami to her orientation for Jr. High this afternoon. 3 kids in school and all 3 in different schools. It should be an interesting year!

Brooklyn said...

I don't know, I'm lamenting the loss of Brooklyn's poor innocent brain heading off to middle school. I teach at one and they are what high school was when I was young. *sigh* So not looking forward to losing my sweet, helpful girl.

brooke said...

I think if he (and you) survived middle school, high school may be a breath of fresh air.
Good luck!!