Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Cookie shampoo and Toast

What are the 'child labor' laws?
I found these three dishwasher's/juice makers/chefs. They speak English (mostly) and they work for cookies. That 4 year-old makes a mean piece of toast. He should by now, he's been making toast since he was 2.

I was pregnant(surprise I'm always pregnant) with Joey(the shortest one) and we were all resting in the family room. I heard Caleb playing around in the kitchen. I thought nothing of it until I heard the toaster pop. I sat bolt upright and looked in the kitchen and there was this 2 1/2 year-old getting toast out of the toaster using pot holders. I asked him what he was doing and he said "It's hot and I'm hungry."
'Smart monkey,' I thought.
I knew then that he was different. He seems to be more mechanically inclined than most of the other children. Around this same time he figured out how to unlock our interior doors. They have a little hole in the door knob that you can push a little strait metal key into, to unlock it. We kept the key on the top of our master bedroom door jam.
I was in the bathroom with the door locked (I needed thirty seconds to pee in private) when I heard Caleb fidgeting with the door knob. I knew, from the day before he had already figured out that if you stuck something small enough in that little hole and turned the knob, the door would open. A small stick was his first key. Sitting in the bathroom, I told him that I would be out in a second and that he didn't need to unlock the door. And then (as he continued to fiddle) I desperately tried to think of what he could be using to try to open the door. All the little things had been picked up from his reach. As the door flew open, there stood little 2 1/2 year-old Caleb, with the actual brass key. I looked at him, with it clenched in his sticky little fist, in amazement. "How did you...???"And then I looked in my bedroom doorway and there lay the broom. He had gotten the broom out of the pantry and used it to sweep the key off the top of our door jam. I knew we were in trouble then.
He didn't start talking until he was 2, but the first thing he said to me was "Where's the 'mote(remote)?"
Caleb's current favorite saying is "My plan worked." I think he's been thinking that since before he was born.

So today has been fairly calm. For a snack I gave Jacob an Oreo(my favorite cookie). He walked off and I thought nothing of it until I went to feed the baby. She had been on the floor for some tummy time, I picked her up and sat with her in the recliner. I looked at her. There were these big, white flake looking things all over her hair. I had no idea what they were. So like a mother, I pulled one out and mushed it around in my fingers and smelled it. Yup, Oreo cookie cream. It brushed out easily. No harm done, and for the rest of the day baby Ellie's hair smelled like a cookie. They should make a shampoo. I want a percentage.

I had to throw in this sweet picture of baby Joey giving baby Ellie a kiss. It's too cute.
Good day to ya.

3 comments:

Clinton said...

Naomi,

You crack me up :)
-Tami

Lauren said...

The those dishwashers/juice makers/chefs. Cute pic. Smart monkey indeed about the toast. Loved reading about the broom/key adventure. Hilarious and very smart. Baby Ellie is super cute! More pictures!

Hannah said...

I'm sure you'd rather discover your son's brilliance while you were somewhere *other* than the bathroom! C'est la vie.

Parfume de Oreo? You oughta get on that idea right away!