Thursday, December 20, 2007

Tourist Season?


I have sorted and folded 44 pairs of socks today. The sad thing about it is that I'm not finished yet. There is still a load of whites in the dryer. That's 88 individual socks so far not counting the few that don't have their partners(dang clothes monster). All white. Well that's not true. Two pair were Spiderman socks, and glory be I found all four individuals. Gabe(the 6 year-old) has actually gone to school wearing one sock from each Spiderman pair, no they don't match, and it wasn't even 'Crazy Sock' day. Sometimes I swear everyday is 'Crazy Sock' day in our house. I guess it doesn't matter as much that your socks don't match if you live someplace cold, where you wear pants that cover your socks so no one knows. And, frankly, when you grow up wearing bread sacks over your 3 pairs of socks inside your "moon boots" (because your feet will get wet, freeze and fall off if you don't,) matching socks isn't such a big deal. But here...here in Texas it's different because we wear shorts. Even now in December. No big thing except Gabe doesn't wear just any shorts. He is very particular about his shorts. Not jean shorts. Rarely khaki's. For Gabe it's the athletic silky shorts all the way. Again, not a big deal, if worn with an athletic T-shirt or something similar, but Gabe's favorite shirts are Hawaiian shirts, cotton or silky mesh, doesn't matter. So if he could he would wear a Hawaiian shirt with a pair or silky athletic shorts and a Spiderman sock or two, everyday. It seems I have a 6 year-old that is really a 60 year-old tourist at heart. I give him credit for Sunday. He wears his gray suit with his shiny penny loafers every Sunday. Occasionally, when he can find them, he'll wear his black socks too. Two Sundays ago at church I looked at his ankles. One black one bare, bless his heart. I made him take the black one off. At least there wasn't a Spiderman sock involved.
Good day to ya.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Athletic silky shorts + hawaiin shirts = DA BOMB! :-) He's just rockin' his unique style, Mom! :-) ha ha ha

Lauren said...

Love that little Gabe. :) I can't believe how big all of your kiddos are! Now we just need to see pictures of their beautiful Mama!

Christin said...

Naomi,
I thought life with five under three was chaos. I can't even imagine seven little ones. Kudos to you woman.

Christin