Monday, February 25, 2008

Lots and Locks of Love

Oh my-lanta! it's been a week since I blogged. No wonder my head was starting to no longer think of everything in written text. Well sometimes things happen that must be reported and this one is three years in the making.
When Sariah was a baby she had practically NO hair. Little red wisps that quickly turned to blond almost nothings. And her hair stayed that way until she was two. It grew a bit and when she had just turned 5 we had a bad hair cut experience (mom's fault) that turned into an extremely short bob. This is a picture from when she turned 6 in 2005. Not much growth.
When late August rolled around our family took a little "vacation" to avoid hurricane Rita. We returned home and not even a half hour had passed before Sariah had gone upstairs into her brothers' closet and cut her bangs...(I don't know why) She came downstairs wearing a winter hat. I pulled it off and can you imagine my horror when hair fell out. I thought I had ripped the scalp right off her noggin. Anyway...we decided at that point to just let it grow. And grow it did.

A few years back some girls in our church donated their hair to Locks of Love. This idea of helping kids with cancer intrigued Sariah and she decided that she wanted to do the same. And so the time came when her hair was long enough (and when dad was home so mom could take her to the beauty shop without a mass following of children) for her to get it cut.
Before...


The ponytails...


The first cut...


The last cut...


The best part (I think it is, I loved having my hair washed. Sariah really enjoyed it too)


And the next best part. She was able to give over 13 inches.

After...
When we were finished, Sariah said "I finally got to do something good."
(I think she does good things all the time.) She is planning to grow it out and do it again.


This picture is just to prove that you can still look "cool" while holding a baby...sorta


good day to ya.

4 comments:

♥Shally said...

Nice! If I were to cut my hair, I would definitely donate it...

Good for her! (and you for helping her feel so good about giving!)

Christin said...

I feel like Natalie is in the same boat. She is 2 1/2 and still has very little hair. I on the other hand have to have my hair thinned every time I go get it colored and cut. Hopefully her hair will grow.

christin

Jen said...

What a sweet girl! She is beautiful!

Heather said...

She looks like such a big girl with her hair cut - she's gorgeous! Good for her, I don't want to wait to grow it that long.