Friday, February 29, 2008

The Birds and the... Mosquito Hawks?

Gabriel has been blessed with all the good quotes and questions as of late. Last night was another good one.
I was outside grilling for dinner(I used to BBQ until I moved to Texas and learned that there is a BIG difference. I do not BBQ, I only grill) Gabe, Caleb, Jacob and Joey were on the trampoline.
We have noticed, lately, a large population of Crane Flies about. The other more common name for Crane Flies are Mosquito Hawks. At least that is what we call them at my house. We used to believe they preyed upon mosquitoes until, thanks to Google, we now know they don't eat anything in their grown up state except maybe a little nectar. Now don't you feel enlightened? Maybe I should include an insect education section in my blog. I've learned a lot. Not just because living here causes one a desperate need to find out "what that heck is that," and "DON'T touch that, I think." And because the bugs here are so large we could be paying them rent. But because for the longest time, from a very early age, my oldest child wanted to be an entomologist. (studier of bugs and creepy things) So as to not *squish* the desire out of him, we would read non-fiction bug books at bed time. I used to doubt his identification abilities and find myself always double checking. But 9 times out of 10 he's right. Even the neighborhood kids come to inquire of his buggy wisdom. "We found this bug. Can Spencer tell us what it is?"
His interests have changed more toward animals in general. He is taking pre-AP science and doing just fine. But wait a minute... This is not what I was going to talk about. It was Gabe's comment.
So I was grilling. The boys on the trampoline. Near me, two mosquito hawks were flying together in a wingy, leggy sorta mess. I knew what they were and what they were doing. But Gabe, in his curious way, caught glimpse of them from a distance and couldn't identify them at first. "What is that?" I shrugged my shoulders, not wanting to have to explain why the two of them were flying as a team. (I'm not good at 'the birds & the bees' when caught off guard) He kept watching them trying to figure it out. "Oh!" he finally said "They're two mosquito hawks mating! Awww, it must be mosquito hawk mating season." Then not missing a beat he looked at me and asked, "When is human mating season?"and in his 7 y-old innocence then added "is it in the winter?"

all I can think is Baa (see Baaa post)
Gabe's full of them.

good day to ya.

2 comments:

Jen said...

HA!! That is a hoot! I love it, your seven year old sounds a lot like my 8 year old. :)

Heather said...

That's just awesome but it would've been a better post with pictures. JUST KIDDING! Seriously - the winter comment cracks me up. Now we'll visit teach via blog. ;)