Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The many sides of mom

So we took a vote today. The three older children did anyway. Do we like the "little bit cranky mom," or the "doesn't care to get out of bed mom" better. It was decided that the "little bit cranky mom" is better. Spencer said on behalf of the kids (with pleading in their eyes) "By all means Mom, drink some caffeine." And so I have jumped off the caffeine sober wagon into the functioning world again, but only for a little while. I figure this way I don't have to go the anti-depressant route which is in more ways than one, a real bummer. I have actually accomplished some things today. Most of the downstairs is clean, went to the store, took Spencer and the four little ones to the dentist(pre-caffeine. The kids were unbelievably fabulous)and Spencer even got to scouts. This last one may not seem to be a big accomplishment unless you get the whole picture.
When Jason is gone, Spencer usually gets a ride with another scout so that things are a little easier for me. Sometimes I have to take the boys, and most of the time when Jason is home we swap taking and picking up. Simple enough. Tonight the typical carpooler called and said he wasn't going. So this meant Spencer needed a ride if he was going to go. He made mention of this and then we all lost track of time while cleaning and eating dinner. Then at 6:45 he said in a panic "It's time to go to scouts!" We live 20 min.s from the chapel. It takes AT LEAST 10 min.s to get all 7 kids in the car to go. The activity only lasts an hour, and the baby was hungry right then. I said "no, not tonight," twice I think. But then my "good" side reminded my "overwhelmed have too many children" side that the individual is important. Sariah has her Achievement Days activity tomorrow and we'll be going to that because they meet at a place that is only a minute away. The "make it fair" side of me said that Spencer must go. So we made a mad dash to the door, hungry baby in hand and we sped our way to get Spencer to his thing. He was fortunate to get a ride home because if you do the math 6:45 +10+20+10+20=to darn much time trying to get to and from scouts. He went, made a movie about being steadfast and immovable, had a good time and enjoyed watching his scout leaders get a written warning from the police because "you aren't supposed to set off fireworks inside Katy city limits." The fireworks were for the finale, I guess. I'm glad the "good and responsible" side of mom won and that the "doesn't care to get out of bed" side will be on vacation for as long as we can thwart her off.


This picture of Spen was taken a few weeks ago, notice my husband (not home) was putting groceries away in the fridge.
good day to ya.

2 comments:

Christin said...

Oh I hear you about the kids in the car taking FOREVER. I rarely go anywhere these days with all five.

Christin

P.S. I wish we lived closer so we could do a play group. It saves my life to get out of the house once a week during the day.

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

I just have to say, "Kudos to you!"