Sunday, April 20, 2008

So on the rig, there was a contest. A dumb "have your wife do something artsy. And on Mother's Day we'll judge and give the winner $500." Jason hesitated in telling me about it. Not sure why. I am all about artsy and money. Put the two together and look out. Oh and to top it off the theme was "family values." So I wracked my brain and tried to think of what would appeal to oil men and fit that theme. I started a pencil drawing of a photo of Gabriel when he was about 5 months old, wrapped in an American flag. I had never finished the flag portion because I wasn't sure how to do it. So when this contest rolled around it came to me. I finished the flag in oil pastels and pencil. It turned out awesome. I cut out the drawing and put it on a background of scrapbook paper of stars and behind that some that had the Pledge of Allegiance on it. Above the drawing of my *angel Gabriel* were the words "I pledge allegiance" under was "one nation under God..." These are our family values in a nutshell. We are very patriotic in our core as a family. And God is the Father and founder of this country and its constitution. With the uproar about the reference of God in the pledge, I felt my piece explained very clearly where our family stands. Well...I took some pictures of the finished piece. Wrapped it in cardboard, taped it up and sent it on its way with my husband to work. I ironically and jokingly asked if he had lost it on the plane. No it had made it to the heliport in Louisiana. He called tonight, which is Sunday, and said he had bad news. It never made it to the rig. He couldn't carry it on the helicopter so they had to pack it underneath. Through his many attempts to find it nothing has come up. I am very sad. Like really sad, not just "oh boo hoo, they lost my picture." Art is something different. You put a little bit of yourself in a piece. And when it just disappears... well here is the picture

5 comments:

Blarney Girl said...

I've always known you were artsy fartsy, but I didn't know you were THAT artsy fartsy!! I'm sad I'll never see the original. I'm hard core patriotic and just seeing the pic of it brought tears to my eyes. You SO would have won!!

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

I feel like I am so out of the loop! I love your floors!!!!!!! Your girls are adorable and you are super mom for doing all that on you own. Seriously you make me want to be you some days. Okay maybe not the 7 kid part (I can barley take the 3+ we have) but the rest I would take right now. Your work is amazing! I'm really sad for you. That piece was beautiful and I bet you would have won for sure.

Jen said...

That was a beautiful picture. You are WAY more artsy than I ever aspire to be. I couldn't paint a viney border on a painted wall if you paid me millions! I seriously don't know how you do it all. You amaze me!

Jeanette said...

I am so sorry. I would be sad too. You would have won too.

Thanks for leaving advice on my blog. ;)

Heather said...

Oh wow - that is so beautiful. I shall mourn with you.