Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Could you Speak up? I can't hear myself think

Ehh? What was that? What did you say? I keep thinking that I'm going deaf. I will probably learn, when my kids are all grow up and gone, that I was never really having problems hearing. It has always been *To Dang Loud* that's all. I wonder if I would be able to understand what is being said better, if it were quieter. I look at my (almost)2, 3 and 4 year-olds, and I see their mouths moving, I hear what I think are words but it makes NO sense. "I wha any" "eese?" "awcorn, oney Oneeeyy!" That is mostly Jacob(almost 3) he is still trying to master the language, he really does pretty well, most of the time. It seems his mouth/brain combo gets tired every once in a while and I feel like I've been bad and I'm being punished and our family's language is being confounded just like at the Tower of Babel. I feel so confused. Caleb(4) would be far more understandable if he would get his thumb out of his mouth while he talked. And Joey, he communicates mostly by facial expression and signs. This is by choice, I'm almost positive. I can just imagine him and Jacob, after we've put them to bed, having the following conversation.(add British accent here) "Oh , I do say, what a day we had," says Jacob. " I quite agree old chap," says Joey "nice work with Mother today. It was marvelous watching the old girl dancing around the kitchen, like a monkey, trying to figure out what we wanted. Don't you think?" "Oh yes, just fabulous." replies Jacob "Tomorrow will be just as fun. I plan on trying another of those screaming tantrums that drives her nutty. Well, goodnight then." "Goodnight, Gove'nor"
OK it's a stretch but, do you ever wonder?

There are times of quiet. You can tell; when everyone has fallen asleep, and the dishwasher isn't running, or the clothes washer or dryer is off and the TV is silent, and mom and dad are too tired to talk, that quiet still exists. I hear those times of quiet and I listen with grateful yet cautioned rest. I have heard, with tired ears the advice of Grandparents and empty-nesters alike, the chaos needs to be enjoyed while it's there, because all too soon it will be gone. So BRING ON THE NOISE !!! BUT COULD SOMEONE GET ME SOME EAR PLUGS?

Good day to ya.
Brother Hugs
Jacob and Joey in April 2007, just before Joey went to TexasChildrens to have his adenoids out.

3 comments:

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

You are a trooper! I feel like the noise level in my house gets beyond "safe" on a daily basis but you have me beat hands down on this I'm sure of it. -N

Jen said...

NAOMI!!
Hi! it was so great to hear from you!! I can't believe you and Jason have 7 kids! wow, that is wonderful, amazing and wonderful! How is Jason?? You guys are in Texas eh? How do you like it? How did you find my blog??
Write soon.
Jen

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

Hey thanks for the worry. it sort of made me feel special weird hu?.. Anyhow, although I see your point I just can't bring myself to do it. I am taking it slow I mean really the place has been a mess for how long? So, no stressing here. Some Washington people just don't have the same no judge qualities that you Wyomingites do. So I feel better knowing my "secrets" are safe behind closed doors where only those closest to us get to witness it all:) I am a freak I know! I just can't help it.