Monday, January 14, 2008

I'm not crazy...Well, maybe just a little

My husband is snoring and so is the baby. So this means that I have a few minutes to dump some things that have been swimming around in my murky watered head. Actually my head contains an office. Not a bright, well lit cheerful office with windows, it's more like a spacious gray broom closet. There are filing cabinets all around; a desk in the middle, with a Rolodex on it; some in-out file shelves and one little trash can, oh and a broom, leaning against one of the really, really tall filing cabinets. The only thing of color, in this space in my head, is the lady that runs this office. She's a fairly short, stout woman with firey red-orange hair, which she always wears up, kinda like Lucy... but not. Some of you may be saying that it's just me, but I'm not that short, and when I lose my baby fat, I'm not that stout, and although my hair does tend to get a little redder each time I dye it (Husband said as he looked at the top of my head "good heaven's Lady look at all those grays" it's time for some color. I'm only 32) The lady is just not me. She does her best to keep me entertained and stay on top of "things to remember" all at the same time. She tries her best to help me remember names and faces-together, we really need to work on that one. Those are the items in the Rolodex. I keep thinking to her that we need to update and go with a more advanced way of doing things, but you know what they say about old dogs. (Now I must pause for a moment and tell y'all that I'm not really crazy. My mother came up with this idea, when I was little, that she had a lady running around in her head trying to recover forgotten information. It was very interesting to me and a few years later I had my own little lady running around in my head. Maybe we're both crazy...crap) There was a TV show on in the late 80's that starred Jason Bateman and others, Sandy Somebody(stupid Rolodex, spin faster lady) I don't remember the name of The lady or the show. BUT the next door neighbor was Mrs. Poole. That's right "the Hogan Family" Edie McClurg...Mrs. Poole. Thank you Google, no thank you Rolodex. Point: the lady in my head reminds me a little of Mrs. Poole. She (in my head) does her best and she must do a fairly decent job because I'm still functioning with 7 kids: three in diapers, under the age of 3, one in potty training, one nursing . "Linus" syndrome (thumb & blanket) -he's the middle child, but more of the oldest of the 4 youngest. "Define yourself. I'm happy or I'm not" He's not the middle-child by one, but he fits that description best, the youngest of the oldest 3 I guess. The Perfect Princess on the verge of hormones(please give me at least 3 more years before it all hits the fan) and the almost TEENAGER, "I'll stare at you because you told me to look at you, but it doesn't mean anything you say will be retained." Oh and don't forget the 2 cats, 1 dog, hamster, and I think there are still live fish somewhere in the house. And my husband, who does a good job taking care of himself, for the most part. When he's home for his three weeks off work, he really does help a lot, but that is a story for a different day. So back to this lady in my head. She balances things quite nicely I suppose. She has taken some things of the "priority" list that I wish she hadn't. Like spelling, and English grammer. Do you see? Grammar. Good heack. And typing has gone out the window. And as far as daily rememberings...( she makes up some really fun words though.) She likes to blame these things on the fact that I'm nursing and my theory stands that breast milk is 50% brain cells, but that can't be the excuse for everything forever? Or can it? I can see it now at my youngest daughter's wedding in another 20 years..."Excuse me, you forgot to: pay the florist, send the invitations, zip up your dress... Oh I did? Silly me, so forgetful. I'm nursing... you know how it is." Think it will work? Yeah, me neither. BUT for now... what was I talking about? Silly me...I'm nursing. 50% brain cells...The lady in my head. nice gal. She does her best to keep things clean, that's why there's a broom and a little trash can. I think we need to get a bigger trash can. I'm not sure what good that would do...once something gets in there it is really hard to throw away. Most of everything gets filed away in those big cabinets. Above all she's really good at taking the blame when things get off course a little. So I appreciate this little character for being a scapegoat and for making the best of whats left of my brain cells. Well, that was fun thanks for tagging along.
Good day to ya.

1 comment:

laura's crew said...

HA HA HA!!!! That is GREAT! I'm still nursing... I also have that same excuse...only I don't have 7 kids and there are 4 years between them, and I certainly didn't nurse for 4 years, so what's my excuse! Has anyone ever done a chemical analysis of breastmilk to see if contain's the mother's brain cells? Maybe we could get rich by discovering that!