Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Need a spare key

So today mom(as in me, myself and I all alone)got a little break and went to lunch with my new friend. It was very nice. It doesn't happen very often and I appreciate my husband and mother-in-law for holding the fort down while I was gone. Christmas break has come and gone and school started again today for the three oldest. So when they came home it was back to the same old paper trail game. I get more junk mail from the schools than I do in the actual USPS. And is it common for a 1st and 3rd grader to have more homework than the 7th grader? I didn't think so. Strange. But if Spencer can keep bringing home 100%'s on his finals then I guess I don't care too much about the homework. I decided that pizza would be a good for dinner tonight, considering my great effort I have made in the kitchen for the last few days. OK it hasn't been like huge 6 course meals or anything but I have cooked. So Pizza it was. I asked Jason to call and order. Now before I finish this part of the story I need to explain the relationship between our youngest son, Joseph Hyrum, and his Daddy. When Joey was born at a gestational age of 35 weeks 6 days. He was taken by c-section due to a complete placenta previa, which makes me glad, once again, that I was not a pioneer because I would have died and Joey would have died and my poor husband would have had to cross the plains all alone with 5 kids, then he'd have to find a wife who probably lost her husband and had kids of her own and then they would have had some more and I don't think Jason could handle 20 kids. I just don't. 7 is pushing it. What was I saying? Oh yeah, Joey. So he came a little early. Which wouldn't typically be to huge of an issue but his lungs weren't done cooking and he was, what the hospital staff kept referring to as, a Whimpy White Boy. No racial slams intended, white male babies are not as hearty and strong, as say a female, when it comes to dealing with stress and health problems at the beginning of life. He had TTN which is short for the fancy medical term that basically means fast breathing in preemies. He also had a partially collapsed left lung. So Joey got to spend 8 days in the hospital breathing O2 and having an IV(all over, including his poor little head) and proving that he really wasn't a W.W.B. and that he could hold his own and come home. Which he did. (this whole experience helped with Ellie's little hospital stay)
Now I don't really remember when the bond
between father and 5th son became so strong, I suppose it could have started in those times that Daddy watched that little baby in the NICU. Or maybe even before when daddy would yell "Hello baby" as he buried his face in mommy's tummy, or it could have even been before that. But nobody has been as adoring of a daddy as Joey is of his Daddy. This became more and more clear when Jason would be gone for periods of time, like training in the local office for work, and then even more when he started to go offshore for three weeks at a time. When Daddy comes home there is no other. No other person in the world that compares to Daddy. No other that can hold as well as Daddy, hug as well, play as well, fill a bottle as well, feed as well, change a diaper as well...etc. No one is more fun to follow or bother while they are using the potty. Daddy is the end all to Joey. And Mommy doesn't hold a candle to Daddy according to Joey. And Mommy cannot hug Daddy or kiss Daddy or have any contact with Daddy while Joey is watching. He will push and scowl and point that "no,no" finger at Mommy for even looking at Daddy. We have learned that Jason belongs to Joey and no one else. He becomes 'just one of the others' when Daddy is gone. He is very sweet and not clingy at all. The saddest thing is when it is time to take Jason to the airport to fly to work. Joey knows that the airport means Daddy is leaving. When the car door opens, the tears start falling, it breaks my heart. But when Daddy comes home it's time for some serious "follow daddy wherever he goes." It all sounds very sweet, but imagine the other side. Jason has a constant shadow... that isn't always quiet, and sometimes can be quite demanding. And sometimes you need some quiet, for example when you are trying to order pizza for dinner. So Jason, in a rather irritated, "I'm tired of being followed" fashion, retreated to the closest place where he could shut the door and have some quiet to make the order, this happened to be the garage. Joey was shut out and away from Daddy. You can see his little mind saying "This will not do!" (he doesn't actually talk much yet. I'm waiting for him to pull a 'Caleb' any day now) he proceeded to bang the door and cry and yell. I know he wished he were a little bigger so he could get that dang doorknob mastered. He settled down after fiddling for a while and walked away. I continued to feed the baby and talk to my mom-in-law. A little while later the cell phone rang. I asked Spencer to answer it. He had a strange little conversation that consisted of a few "yeahs" and "uh huhs" and an "OK." Then he hung up the cell phone, walked over to the garage door and unlocked it. Jason came in and didn't say a word, he just quietly went and picked Joey up. They had a quiet little conversation. I don't know what was said. I was laughing too hard, I couldn't hear anything if I tried.
Good day to ya!

2 comments:

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

That is so sweet! There is nothing quite as awesome as a Daddy and his kiddo.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the pictures, and giving me some insight into what your day is like. I miss my brother.